Chicken Biryani Recipe is something that most of the foodies out there start searching for when it’s a festival or family or friends gettogether. Especially during Bakra Eid (Eid al-Adha), people enjoy eating homemade Chicken Dum Biryani.
Other than Sheer Khurma, Sewai Zarda, Dahi Vada, Chole and other items, Chicken Biryani is mostly relished on Eid lunch/dinner.
Welcome back to Foodistan Foodies! It is again the time to give you a guest recipe shared by one of our fans, Sarmina Yasmin. She had recently shared her Chicken Biryani Recipe that she makes on Eid. And we are sharing it for you.
She got inspired by Celebrity Chef Kunal Kapoor to try her own version of Chicken Biryani.
But before you dive into Chicken Dub Biryani recipe, take this Poll Quiz. In this Surprise Poll Quiz, you get a chance to win a FREE copy of Turkish Cook Book.
Here is easy to cook Chicken Dum Biryani recipe…
Chicken Biryani Ingredients
- Chicken with bone/boneless – 500 grams
- Onions – 4-5 medium-sized
- Curd – 200 grams
- Lemon – 2 pieces
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- 2-3 tablespoons Red Chilli Powder
- Ginger and Garlic paste – 1/2 tablespoons each
- Freshly roasted and grounded Zeera Powder
- Orange colour for food
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons Refined oil
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm water to soak Saffron
- A bit of Sugar with Brown Onions
- Basmati rice for Pulao (300-500 grams)
- All Whole Spices (Garam Masala)
- Bay leaves (Tez Patta)
How to make Chicken Biryani at home?
Step 1 – For making Chicken
- Take Chicken pieces and wash them properly. Let it drain.
- We will now marinate the Chicken.
- Add 3 tbsp Curd, ½ tbsp Ginger and Garlic Paste, 2-3 tbsp Red Chilli Powder, Salt to taste, and Orange food color to Chicken pieces and keep it for 1 hour.
- Now take a pressure cooker and heat it cup. Add 2-3 tbsp Refined oil and let it heat. Now chop 3-4 medium sized Onions and add into it. Stir chopped Onions until they are golden brown in colour. Don’t brown it too much or let it become black or else it will ruin. Once done, add the marinated Chicken pieces into the cooker, and add 2-3 pieces of Tez Patta (It is only to add flavor).
- Add half cup Water, and close the cooker. Let it cook up on 2 high whistles and 1 slow whistle. Once done, let it cool.
- Open and stir it delicately on high flame to remove extra moisture. The Chicken will have a thick consistency – semi to dry gravy. Add freshly roasted Zeera Powder and 1 lemon juice and mix it slowly – else the pieces may break.
Step 2 – For making Pulao
- Take another pressure cooker and heat up. Add 1 tbsp Ghee, and 1-2 tbsp Refined oil with all Whole Spices – Garam Masala. Don’t add Garam Masala powder, please.
- Add properly washed Basmati rice into it, a bit of salt and stir everything properly. Keep the flame on slow when you put rice into the cooker. Add double the quantity of water than rice quantity. Example – If you have added 2 cups of rice, then you will need to add 4 cups of water. Increase the flame to medium and add some lemon juice into it. It will protect your rice from becoming sticky, and it won’t break. Now close the lid and give 2-3 whistles on medium flame. Put off the flame and let the rice to cook. Let the entire steam of the cooker come out naturally.
Step 3 – Layering of Pulao and Chicken
- It’s time to layer our Chicken Biryani. Take a big vessel or a Wok and add some ghee on the panel first. Now add some rice and some chicken on top of each other. Continue the same until your rice and chicken are placed on each other. Take 1-2 tbsp of Ghee and add on top. You can also add brown onion that is crushed, but it is optional. Let it be on a slow flame for 2-5 minutes. Your Chicken Biryani is now ready.
- At the serving into a plate, ensure to mix rice and chicken delicately in the wok so that everything is mixed properly.
- Enjoy your Chicken Dum Biryani with Raita or Cucumber and Onion-based Kachumar.
You are now aware of how to make Chicken Biryani at home. A tip will be making this dish as early as possible – it enhances the taste. Suppose if you are expecting guests during Bakra Eid at 8 PM, then ensure your Chicken Biryani is ready by 5:30-6 PM.
Do try this lip-smacking Non-veg food recipe >> Cook Chicken Dum Biryani at home this festive season and let us know how it was in the comments section below.
Continue following Foodistan Foodies YouTube channel for many more authentic and fancy food recipes.
- How is Chicken Biryani made?
Chicken Biryani is made when you cook Chicken in spices separately and then Pulao is made. Then, you mix everything together in what is called layering. The bottom layer is of marinated chicken then half-cooked rice, then fried onions, fresh mint and coriander. At the top saffron-infused milk or water along with rose water is sprayed. It's then cooked for around 20 to 30 min. Your Chicken Biryani is ready to be served.
- How many cups of water is used for making 1 cup of rice?
For every cup of rice, 2 cups of water is used. If you are making 1 cup of rice, then you will need only 1/2 cup of water. Ensure to use high-quality Biryani rice for best results.
- How many people can eat 1 Kg of Biryani?
Generally, 3-5 people can easily gorge on 1 Kg of Biryani.
- Does rice make you fat?
It depends on how much quantity you eat. Rice can be weight loss friendly as well as flattening. Watch out your serving!